Some days I dread cooking dinner. Which is ironic because I LOVE to cook. It's part of how I show my love to others - by being nurturing and feeding you (it's the southern woman in me.) But, after a long day or a hectic week, figuring out what to make for dinner can be tough and the LAST thing I want to do. Well, not anymore because this Crock-Pot BBQ Chicken Taco recipe is 'stupid-easy' and delicious! We love mexican food at our house and this recipe is always a crowd-pleaser. We're from eastern North Carolina where BBQ is King so the added flair of the BBQ sauce is a nice little way of changing up your typical taco night.
- 4-6 boneless chicken breast
- 1 can of Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles - You don't need to drain it.
- 1/3 c. BBQ sauce (any type will do!)
- 1 onion, sliced - any type of onion will do and for our family of 2, I only used 1/2 of it.
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Taco seasoning (Optional - I didn't use a seasoning pack, I just added about 1 tsp. of chili power.)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Taco shells - We do soft & crunchy at our house.
Taco Topping Ideas:
- Shredded lettuce
- Cotija cheese
- Sour Cream
- Taco or Hot Sauce
- Guacamole or Salsa
- Black beans and/or corn
- Place your chicken breast in the bottom of your crock-pot.
- Add the BBQ sauce and can of Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles on top (I say DON'T drain the can because the juices from the tomatoes help to keep your chicken breast moist. Moist. Ew.)
- Then, throw in your sliced onion and spices.
- Turn your slow cooker on LOW for 4-6 hours. I usually turn it off after 3 Hours but you can totally cook it the entire 6hrs if you want to throw this together before you leave for work in the morning.
- After cooking, transfer it to a serving bowl and use a fork to shred the chicken. That's it. You're done. See? I told you, STUPID EASY.
I like to set out the chicken, shells, and all of the toppings on the table and then everyone can grab what they like and make their own tacos according to their taste. Last week, when I made this, almost all of our crunchy taco shells were broken so I gave the unbroken shells to my Hubby and made a really delicious taco salad instead topped with yummy avocado and sour cream. Ok, now I'm hungry...